February 3, 2013 by Jackie Hoermann-Elliott
When you write, who do you see? What does your audience look like?
- How old are they?
- Are they American? Chinese? Australian? Professors? Adults? Students?
- Where might they fall on the political spectrum?
- What types of jobs do they hold?
- At what time will they be reading your argument? Will they agree with it? Will certain current events influence them?
- How are you going to persuade them? Will they appreciate humor? Cold facts? Circumstantial evidence?
- What might persuade them to agree with you?
These are just a few questions to jumpstart your thinking. Have you considered your audience? So often we write with the vaguest idea of who we’re trying to convince, but how could identifying your target audience strengthen the writing you do?